Monday, October 18, 2010

My Deer & 1st Elk

Opening day of elk I was hoping to get at least an elk to be part way done with hunting season. I had went up with Justin quite a bit during bow hunt & so I was getting a little burnt out of packing the kids & getting home at dark every night... Sure enough within about a half hour I ended up getting a deer & an elk. It was such a rush shooting an elk just because they are so much bigger than a deer & it was my first one. Carter came up with us to get them after I had already shot them-He was in heaven between the tractor, the hiking & horns!
We were pretty far away from the elk, probably 300 yards so we hiked to get close enough to at least see which one had the biggest horns & then I started firing away. Took three shots to drop him..The deer was maybe 150 yards away & my first shot I hit him in the leg then I would have been able to him him square on but of course a stupid little doe stood right in front of him so I didn't dare shoot again until he moved...took a few shots for me to hit him good :)
Riding the deer. He jumped right on it & wanted me to take a picture...3X3
Helping papa get ready to load the elk up...
Justin teaching Carter how to ride the old school trike that was Justin & Nicoles...
I felt bad I got to do all the shooting & then Justin had to do all the work. Thanks to Ed & Sheri for babysitting a ton during hunting season!

1 comments:

Alex and Chase said...

Looks like you had an awesome hunt! Chase and I are jealous! We will have to go hunting together sometime.
Hope you guys are doing well.